fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "demurrage " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "mtcn" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. jerry Don" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2019 17:24:20 +0100
Subject: FedEx Nigeria Head Office
FedEx Nigeria Head Office
70 International Airport Road Mafoluku,
Custormers Service Hours--Monday To Saturday:
Office Hours Monday To Saturday:
Attention' Attention'' Attention'
The FedEx courier Service Company are hereby passing an essential massage to all our valuable customers to be very careful while presenting their receivers residential address to avoid wrong delivery. This is the FedEx courier service company mailing you as per your parcel that was brought to this company to be delivered to you by one Mrs.sandra Williams, along the delivery process therecame a misunderstanding between you and the nicon insurance company inregard of their request as per their insurance certificate which happens to be course of your parcel pending for the past one year. Meanwhile we are hereby happy to inform you that the FedEx Company has finalized everything with the nicon insurance company of Nigeria as the company organization has also listed 24 valuable parcels to be intact in their office after the released of the parcels from then icon insurance company.
AS YOU RESPOND KINDLY FILL YOUR INFORMATION BELOW
FULL NAMES......................... ........
DRIVERS LICENSE ............................
We are happy to inform you once again that your parcel that contain the sum of $ 1.3 million dollars is among the 24 parcels listed which is now in our office and also with your name as the receiver despise that we lost your private residential addresss, which is an indication that you can now re-send your residential address to back to the FedEx company where your parcel can be delivered to you without hesitation with this e-mail: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Meanwhile remember that the sender of this parcel Mrs. Sandra Williams still owes this company the sum of $95 before incident occurs, know you that this company has spend out of their incomes in the process by recovery back your parcel???so dear costurmer we once again appreciate your patronage in our favour.
Without hesitations you are to pay for just the balance left by your sender via western union so that your parcel can be delivered to your residential address before it accumulate a demurrage after one week only,as you know your parcel is not just an ordinary parcel but with a huge amount and I think you understand wath I mean by ccumulating a
demurrage? Which you will not allow to happen to your recovery parcel that almost gone if not for the love that the good god have for you by favoring you with his favour because it was god who did it not by your power but by the spirit say the lord. We assure you that your parcel will arrive at your country in two days time and it will get to your door step the third OR fourth day as soon as this company receive the balance left by your sender and the tracking number of your parcel will be sent to you via e-mail immediately so that you can track it yourself to see your parcel coming on the way and you will also know when it will arrive at your country because we operate in trust and
loyalty in your favour.
And also the FedEx courier Service Company is hereby to inform all their customers by eradicating all their communication with the scam mailsthat are going all-over the world be careful with their e-mails so that your parcel will not be in danger with their evil planes. FedEx provides access to a growing global marketplace through a network of
supply chain, transportation, business and related information
PAYMENT INFORMATION OFFICE
RECIEVERS NAME------KELVIN DORIS
RECIEVERS COUNTRY----NIGERIA .
AMOUNT TO BE PAID---------$95
AND ALSO WITH THE MTCN NUMBER.
FedEx is one of the world's great success stories, the start-up that revolutionized the delivery of packages and information. In the past 30 years, we've grown up and grown into a diverse family of companies -a FedEx that's bigger, stronger, better than ever. WAITING TO READ YOUR E-MAIL.
FEDEX COURIER MANAGING DIRECTOR
Thanks for your Co-operation.
For the Ikeja Branch Manager FedEx Express Services Lagos -Nigeria