fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- contact email address in case you want to email him. below: email@example.com as soon as the form is obtained here in our office, it (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "MR. DAVID BROWN" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2019 08:44:12 +0100
Subject: Regards David Brown Cell: +15152032156 VERY URGENT
This is CBP Senior Agent/Post Director David.Brown, for ground
logistics handling and terror prevention unit Des Monies
international airport IA USA. It has come to our notice that your
file reference number confirms (Two Trunk Boxes: A Special Military
Delivery To You) from a Registrant by A US ARMY GENERAL, who died june 6th
military hospital in Afghanistan, he was involved in bomb blast that he
couldn't make it
alive. But the boxes lacks a certificate of inc number, It has been
confirmed that you
were listed as a registered beneficiary of the boxes (two in number) and
this is the
reason I'm contacting you.
The contents of the boxes is money,the total amount which our scan result
$40.million USD. Thus we require that you provide this office with inc
permit before the
boxes would be cleared and proceed delivery to your location address asap.
boxes were tagged for non inspection whereas it still lacks inc Permit
which is very
essential before the delivery could proceed.
Option: You will have to make your self available here at the Des
Monies international airport within the next 48hrs with the sum of
$350 OK, BUT IN CASE YOU CAN'T MAKE IT DOWN HERE IN NEXT 48HOURS WE WILL
representative from our delivery agent whom will assist you in obtaining
and filling out
the form needed quickly, that is if you are unable to make it down here
within the next
However, if you are unable to come down to the airport and get this
done, the authorities has given you the privilege to send the $350 USD, to
this agent Mr.Mabut Deng: for him to represent you here in this
office to have this solved as soon as possible. This is his contact email
case you want to email him.
As soon as the form is obtained here in our office, it would be
placed on the boxes since it is being shipped via a diplomatic means
of delivery. With the Permit, the boxes can not be searched or stopped
anywhere in States or even in your nearest airport, and
this way, you would be assured of having a very smooth delivery to
your door step without any hitch ok.
Please choose an option and let me know were we stand at the moment so
we could have this rounded up quickly, so that the delivery man could
carry on with the delivery to your location address. We anticipate prompt
response from you to enable us serve you better.
Senior Agent/Post Director CBP
Our job at HOMELAND SECURITY is regulating and facilitation
International trade, collecting import duties, and enforcing U.S.
trade laws. It's our primary mission to prevent terrorists and
terrorist weapons from entering the shores of the United Sates. The
CBP is also responsible for apprehending individuals attempting to
enter the United States illegally, stemming the flow of illegal drugs,
money laundry and other contraband, protecting the United States
agricultural and economic interest from harmful pests and diseases,
and protecting the American people from theft of their intellectual