fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "TYLER HESS" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 17:15:00 -0800
I am interested in establishing and operating a very viable business as a means of investment. I did not know well on how this will be done in your country, so I will need you to help me in this regard. My preference is any good profit yielding business and I would appreciate any viable ideas you could come up with. I will also need you to help me look for properties like house and lands for sale as I am proposing to invest a substantial amount of money accrued as a return on investment. Details of the amount shall be given to you upon receipt of your response. I do not know if you can and will be of help to me.
For a brief on my personality;
My need for this business proposition and to acquire these properties is very urgent as I am planning to retire from my position as the Vice Chairman of Gulf Investment Council in the European Union region. business inclined man, I want you to come up with your individual business/ investment ideas as I will welcome it from the bottom of my heart. I also hope to meet with you in Africa, Asia or Europe during the course of our investment deliberations to fine tune our investment plans. Do get back to me on my email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more details if you are Interested in working with me on the noble Project Please I expect your good and prompt reply so that we can proceed swiftly on how the fund can be sent to you.