fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr.Christopher Wray<email@example.com>
Date: 04 Dec 2019 16:20:23 +0700
Subject: FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Counter-terrorism Division and Cyber Crime Division
J. Edgar. Hoover Building Washington DC
Series of meetings have been held over the past 7 months with the
secretary general of the United Nations Organization. This ended
3 days ago. It is obvious that you have not received your fund
which is to the tune of Eight Million and Five Hundred Thousand
United State Dollars ($8,500,000.00) due to past corrupt
Governmental Officials who almost held the fund to themselves for
their selfish reason and some individuals who have taken
advantage of your fund all in an attempt to swindle your fund
which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary
delay in the receipt of your fund.
The National Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United
Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully
passed a mandate to the current president of United States Of
America his Excellency President Donald Trump to boost the
exercise of clearing all foreign debts owed to you and other
individuals and organizations who have been found not to have
receive their Contract Sum, Lottery/Gambling, Inheritance and the
likes. Now how would you like to receive your payment? Because we
have two method of payment which is by Check or by ATM card?
ATM Card: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM card
which you will use to withdraw up to $3,000 per day from any ATM
machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card have to
be renewed in 4 years time which is 2023. Also with the ATM card
you will be able to transfer your funds to your local bank
account. The ATM card comes with a handbook or manual to
enlighten you about how to use it. Even if you do not have a bank
Check: To be deposited in your bank for it to be cleared within
three working days. Your payment would be sent to you via any of
your preferred option and would be mailed to you via FedEx
Courier Service. Because we have signed a contract with FedEx
Courier Service which should expire in next three weeks you will
only need to pay $310 instead of $600 saving you $290. So if you
pay before the three weeks you save $290 Take note that anyone
asking you for some kind of money above the usual fee is
definitely a fraudsters and you will have to stop communication
with every other person if you have been in contact with any.
Also remember that all you will ever have to spend is $310.00
nothing more! Nothing less! And we guarantee the receipt of your
fund to be successfully delivered to you within the next 48hrs
after the receipt of payment has been confirmed.
Note: Everything has been taken care of by the Federal
Government, The United Nation and also the FBI and including
taxes, custom paper and clearance duty so all you will ever need
to pay is $310.
DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU READ THIS: The actual fees
for shipping your ATM card is $600 but because FedEx Courier
Service have temporarily discontinued the C.O.D which gives you
the chance to pay when package is delivered for international
shipping We had to sign contract with them for bulk shipping
which makes the fees reduce from the actual fee of $600 to $310
nothing more and no hidden fees of any sort!
To effect the release of your fund valued at $8,500,000.00 you
are advised to contact our correspondent, the delivery officer
Barr Michael Richardson with the information below,
Name: Barr. Michael Richardson
TELEPHONE: +1(660) 386-0137
You are advised to contact him with the information's as stated
Your full Name :..............
Your Address :..............
Preferred Payment Method (ATM / Cashier Check)
Upon receipt of payment the delivery officer will ensure that
your package is sent within 48 working hours. Because we are so
sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee
if you do not receive payment/package within the next 48hours
after you have made the payment for shipping.
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535
Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or
offices claiming to be in possession of your ATM CARD, you are
hereby advice only to be in contact with Barr Michael
Richardson(firstname.lastname@example.org) of the ATM CARD CENTRE who is the
rightful person to deal with in regards to your ATM CARD PAYMENT
and forward any emails you get from impostors to this office so
we could act upon and commence investigation.) of the ATM CARD
CENTRE who is the rightful person to deal with in regards to your
ATM CARD PAYMENT and forward any emails you get from impostors to
this office so we could act upon and commence investigation.
This email has been sent from a virus-free computer protected by