fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: BELINDA JOSHA <Belindajosh@yahoo.com>
Subject: START YOUR BUSINESS
I am Ms Belinda Josha . I am writing from a hospital in Ivory Coast, therefore this mail is very urgent, I am dying in the hospital which I do not know what tomorrow will be. I have been told by my doctor that I Dementia has got my liver damaged and can only live for weeks more,
I have a little orphan child 19 years old, named Fatima Gida and [Twenty Million United States Dollars] I inherited from my late father, my step mother and her children are after Fatima Gida because she knew about the documents of the money for this reason they do not want Fatima Gida to expose them, so they will do anything possible to kill her, so I want you to help her out of this country with the money.
This is the favour I need when you have gotten the money: -
(1) Set out 40% of the money to establish my daughter Fatima Gida as she has been there for me throughout my illness and I have promised to support her in life. I want you to take her along with you to your country and establish her as your daughter.
(2) Give 30% of the money to the less privileges and charity organization and schools. The remaining 30% should be for you and others that you would love to assist.
Note; This should be a code between you and Fatima Gida in this transaction "HOSPITAL" any mail from her, the Lawyer she will direct you to, without this code "HOSPITAL" is not from Fatima Gida, the Lawyer or myself as I don't know what will happen to me in the next few hours. Contact my daughter Fatima Gida on her email bellow:
Her Name: Fatima Gida
She will give you the documents of the money and will direct you to a well known lawyer that I have appointed to her, the lawyer will assist you to change the documents of the money to