fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Victor Williams" <Victorreilliams@essentialpr.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 14:10:53 +0000
Subject: MY LETTER..
I am Barrister Victor Williams (Esq).
l Work with bank,as Head of their Legal Department. I saw a file in your name with all your information from our central computer stating that abandoned fund worth of Millions of US Dollars belongs to you,
Please, I want to know from you the reason why you abandoned such big fund up till this time without any claim.
You are advise to get back to me and I promise to help you so that you will receive your abandoned fund from our office without any delay as soon as I read from you with your thoughts regarding my opinion on this matter.
You are advised to get back to me as soon as you receive this message to enable me know what to do to help you receive your fund.
Right now ,Would want you to supply me with your following details below to enable me to compare with the information here .
YOUR FULL NAME ;
DATE OF BIRTH :
CELL PHONE /FAX PHONES:
MEANS OF IDENTIFICATION:
Barrister Victor Williams. (Esq)