fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 13:19:52 -0800
Subject: How are you today?
The United Nations Security Council , hereby receives your payment
with reference number #.MAV/UNO/WBO/LM-05-371 amounting to US$2.4 (
Two million, four hundred thousand dollars only) This council was set
up to fight against scam and fraudulent activities worldwide,
responsible for investigating the legitimacy of unpaid contract,
inheritance and lotto winning claims by companies and individuals and
directs the paying authorities worldwide to make immediate payment of
verified claims to the beneficiaries without further delay, your said
payment was deposited with DIAMOND BANK PLC BENIN REPUBLIC and you
will gain online access for you to access and transfer your funds
through internet banking ,
we also confirmed that you have met all statutory requirements in
respect of your pending payment except that you have to change the
name on the account which we opened for you with your funds, presently
the name on the account is UNITED NATIONS so you need to change it to
your name. This important notice is to let you know that your payment
is ready to be moved by DIAMOND BANK PLC BENIN REPUBLIC Online banking
transfer system where the account was opened.
All you are to do now isto contact Diamond Bank for your online account
in formations so thatyou can logon to the account to confirm the
availability of your fundsthen after that you will have to change the
name on the account toyour own personal name because the name we used in
opening the account for you is UNITED NATIONS.
Please note you will not be able to transfer your funds until you
change the name on the account so you are to contact Diamond bank with
your informations as needed below.
(1) Your Full Name:
(2) Home Address:
(3) Phone, Fax and Mobile
(4) Company Name
(5) Bank Name:
Here are the contact details of Diamond Bank Plc which you are to
contact immediately for your online account information' s to confirm
the availability of your funds.
BANK NAME: Diamound Bank Plc
you have to try to contact them as soon as possible so they can send
you the online account information' s as we have already informed them
that you will be contacting them for the request of the account
information ' s, please do not forget to contact them with your details
as your request might be ignored if your information' s is not included
to prove that the message is coming from you.
Rev Mba Bean
Director, Special Duties