fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "inheritance funds" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "contact me immediately" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: ANTI <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2019 10:02:00 -0800
Subject: Re::YOUR FUND COMPENSATION
Southern African Fraud Prevention Service (SAFPS
we fight against fraud, funds delay and impersonation.
Postal Address: P O Box 2629, Alberton, 1450
Street Address: Block 5, Meyersdal Office Park, 65 Philip Engelbrecht
Street, Meyersdal, 1448.
This mail serves as a listening ear to the victims of scam the world over. We
have been having a meeting for the past 7 months which ended 2 days ago with
the secretary general of the United Nations Organization.and The President of
South African Government(Cyril Ramaphosa)This message is to all the people
that have been scammed in any part of the
world, the United Nations with the South Africa Government have agreed to
compensate them with the sum of US$5,000,000. This includes every foreign
contractors that may not have received their contract sum, and people that
had an unfinished transaction or international businesses that failed due to
Government problems etc.We have a database of victims and that is why we
are contacting you,this has
been deliberated upon and is among our set of priorities in making the
better place.You are advised to contact me Van Schalkwyk Danny (SAFPS
Executive Director) as
i am the representative in South Africa. Contact me immediately for the
transfer of USD$5,000,000. either Bank to Bank wire transfer or through ATM
CARD delivery.This Fund is with Standard Bank Of South Africa for safety
purpose. do provide me with your bellow details.
1. Your full name:
2. Your residential address:
3. Mobile and fax number (for regular official contact).
These above-mentioned informations will officially enable us to carry out of
our verification processes and after your que compensation sum / Inheritance
Funds will be approved in your name and Electronically wired into your
designated Bank account or by ATM Card delivery to your doorstep.depending on
Which mode of payment you prefer.You are to contact this office upon
receipt of this notification immediately to
proceed for payment. Vision: To fight corruption to the stand still and
All The Africa to the enviable standard of respectability and dignity of the
nations.Your immediate compliance to this will expedite actions on your
Payment because here in this office, we have a lot of listed victims
to be settled.do get back to this office through email(email@example.com)
Van Schalkwyk Danny
SAFPS Executive Director