fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "a diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.Joseph Scott " <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 14:34:14 +0800
Subject: Your Package For Delivery 13.88
Re: Your Abandoned Package For Delivery
I have very vital information to give to you, but first I must have your trust before I review it to you because it may cause me my job, so I need somebody that I can trust for me to be able to revail the secret to you.
I am Mr.Joseph Scott, Head of luggage/baggage storage facilities here at the McCarran International Airport,Nevada USA. During my recent routine check of withheld packages at the Airport Storage Vault, I discovered an abandoned shipment by a Diplomat from London and when scanned it revealed an undisclosed sum of money in a metal trunk box. The consignment was abandoned because the Contents of the consignment was not properly declared by the consignee as âMONEYâ rather it was declared as personal effect to avoid interrogation. Further finding showed that the diplomat was unable to pay for the lawful United States Non Inspection Charges of $3,700USD. On the next routine check, I noticed the consignment is still left in our Storage Vault here at the International Airport Nevada till date.
The United Nations Office in Geneva tagged the trunk box with content details of $4.8M USD and your name and email address in it. This is why am able to contact you. The SECRET report contained in a document revail that money is a compensation to you for being a scam victim.
However, to confirm if you are the actual recipient of this consignment as the Assistant Director of the Inspection Unit, I will advise you provide your current Phone Number and Full Address, to enable me cross check if it corresponds with the official documents here with us.The name of nearest Airport around your city is vital. Please note that this consignment is supposed to have been returned to the United States Treasury Department as UNCLAIMED DELIVERY due to the delay in concluding the clearance processes. So as a result of this, I will not be able to receive your details on my official email account. In order words, as to enable me cross check your details, I will advise you send the required information below to my private email address for quick processing and response. Once I confirm you as the actual recipient of the trunk box, I can get everything concluded within 48hours upon your acceptance and will inform you of my travel details with an assigned Diplomat for fast delivery.
KINDLY FILL IN THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
Your Full Name:
Your Direct Telephone Numbers:
Your Direct Office Phone Numbers:
Mobile Phone Number:
Your Current Home Address:
Your Office Address:
Your nearest airport:
Lastly, be informed that the reason I have taken it upon myself to contact you personally about this abandoned consignment is because I want us to transact this business and share the money 80% for you and 20% for me since the consignment has not yet been returned to the United States Treasury Department after being abandoned by the diplomat. So immediately the confirmation is made, I will go ahead and pay for the United States Non Inspection Fee of $3,700 dollars and arrange for the box to be delivered to your doorstep Or I can bring it by myself to avoid any more trouble but you have to assure me of my 20% share.
I wait to hear from you urgently if you are still alive and I will appreciate if we can keep this deal confidential. for further directives: You can call me on my telephone number: +1 740 212 1611 for verbal conversation. Emeil:
( email@example.com ). Please if am not available to receive your call, please drop a message or send me a text or email.
Assistance Inspection Director
McCarran International Airport
Las Vegas Nevada,
WMO 72386, United States