fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "top secret" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr.Aisha al-Gadda" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 04:37:24 -0800
Subject: Hello My Dear Friend, 226.22
Hello My Dear Friend,
I am sending this e-mail with love affection together with confidence and =
I ask that you grant me the same. It ''s my pleasure to be in touch with yo=
u. In addition to our friendship, I want to share a personal agenda and sec=
ret with you. Since after the death of my father, a lot have happened over =
the properties and assets confiscated also from Britain, the US and Italy, =
Since 2011 my family on their own have wasted and mus-used over a consignme=
nt, and at this moment I am really fed up and wants to move to sneak out of=
Oman and start a project / mission, so I have to recover everything that b=
elongs to me.
To exit Oman I need a lot of money to be in place before leaving Oman. I'l=
l deal with you in absolute confidence and no doubt of your ability and as =
such I want you to tell me your ability to keep the two package and I assur=
e the honesty to take the 40% and 60% keep safely for me and hand it to me =
on my arrival.
To get this money in your possession, what will be required is for me to wr=
ite a letter of authorization for you that transmission the security compan=
y where the money is kept safely as my trustee appointed and it will releas=
e the funds to you with granting of a take-over.
What I want from you is a confirmation that you will ensure 60% for me and=
whenever I have the chance to Oman and arrive in your country that I reach=
60% without violating our agreement. In your e-mail confirmation, I will r=
equire you to send your full names as in your valid ID, a copy of valid ID,=
address, age and profession so that I will publish a letter of authorizati=
on that will allow you to contact the security company and have the money r=
eleased and transferred to you.Below is a reaffirmation of what we lost in =
the United States, Great Britain and Italy Let me know your mind on this an=
d please do treat
this information as TOP SECRET. We shall go over the details once I
receive your urgent respons.
Do not be afraid, as the security company is managing the transaction legal=
Dr.Aisha al-Gadda =
E-mail ( firstname.lastname@example.org )