fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "top of the day to you" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Outblaze.com, Hong Kong; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:47:52 +0200
Subject: Financial Aid at 2% interest rate...Apply Today
Top of the day to you From Oaktree Capital Management.
We bring you goodnews as we wish you a happy & Prosperous New Year., Sorry =
if you find this mail in your Spam or Junk it is due to your internet provi=
Have you been searching for a Personal or Commercial Financial assistance =
and been turned down severally by banks due to high interest rates or Unnec=
If "YES" do contact Oaktree Capital management today, as We offer Financi=
al assistance to Individuals & firm at a low interest rate of 2% been begi=
ning of the year Special bonus. =
Get out of debt today,Get that vacation loan,debt consolidation,Business o=
r certified Home loan, real quick, 100% B-B-B Approval Genuine and legitima=
Grab the opportunity to finance your dreams..If interested in obtaining an=
y amount please reply to (email@example.com) with the sentence b=
"YES' PLEASE, I NEED A LOAN PLEASE SEND APPLICATION FORM"