fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Evergreen Group Pte Ltd." (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2020 00:24:47 -0800
Subject: Evergreen Group Pte Ltd - Request For Quotation.
We are writing you from Evergreen Group Pte Ltd.
Recently We have gone through your company profile and we are interested in doing business with your company on your products because it fall in line with therange of products with supplies and distribute.
Kindly see attachment to View the list of products that we wish to have a full briefing on.
You are to provide us with the following about the products
1. Prices FOB
2. Payment terms
3. Delivery Period
4. Specified delivery date assuming from the Date of Order.
Please your quick reply is highly appreciated, we need this concluded before chinese new year.
On receipt of your response, we shall forward you the order quantity and delivery details to enable your company issue us a proper quotation.
Thank you for your cooperation.
With best regards,
Lim Phek Jin
8 New Industrial Road, LHK 3, #01-02/03
Tel: (65) 6336-4455
Fax:(65) 6448 4110