fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "claim agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "attorneys " (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: 04 Mar 2020 14:18:30 +0200
Subject: Award Verification
This is to notify you on behalf of Mercedes Benz International
Max Jackpot Promo, we are glad to inform you that your email has
won you a grand prize of $3,500,000.00 USD Dollars and a Brand
New Mercedes-Benz GLE 450 2019 model.
The selection process was carried out through the electronic
email, this makes you a proud owner of a Brand Mercedes-Benz GLE
450 "2019" model and a Grand Check of $3,000,500.00 USD. (Three
Million Five Hundred Thousand Dollars).
Our aim is to select winners through the internet Power ball
ballot random system which will be much more easy way to select
winners all around the world.
if you are the original proprietor to this email account which
you have received the winning notification letter please do
contact the claim Law office of Gary W Huston with your under-
listed information's below immediately for claim. process.
LAW OFFICE OF Gary W Huston.
Attorneys at Law, PLLC
Pensacola,FL 32502, United States
TEL: +1 (760)915-6251
Cell Phone Number:
Your Reference Claim Number: W70902039
Note: Necessary information's/claim documents regarding your
winnings will be provided by our claim agent.
Lotto Max Jackpot Promo Was Officially Approved And Sponsored by
the Mercedes Benz Corporation Company.
Congratulations once again..
Chairman Management Board