fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "email@example.com" (this email address looks like addresses used in "ATM SWIFT card" scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Ms.Lina Medina" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 21:54:10 +0200
Subject: Letter of Intent !!!
(INTERNATIONAL FUNDS TRANSFER / AUDITUNIT)
UNITED NATIONS COMPENSATION COMMISSION
NEW YORK.NY 10017 UNITED STATES
UNITED STATES REGIONAL HEADQUARTER
REGISTERED CLAIM NR: UNCCORG/PC6410IMFCPBCPZ
The United Nations Organization has been given express instruction to (UNCC) to direct the West Africa Monetary Agency (WAMA) to re-called your Fund totally.We wish to notify you as a beneficiary in compensation of $7,500,000.00 (Seven Million Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) We, the authorized governing body of the United Nations monetary unit has been authorized to investigate the unnecessary delay on your payment, recommended and approved in your favor by United Nations Security Council.During the course of our investigation, it was discovered with dismay that your payment has been unnecessarily delayed by corrupt officials of the previously appointed paying bank who were making efforts to divert allocated funds into their private bank accounts. To prevent this, security of your funds have been re-organized. We will monitor your compensation payment by ourselves to avoid any repetition of the hopeless situation created by the officials of the previous paying banks. An
irrevocable payment guara
Paramount, we advise that you STOP all dealings involving any sort of financial support to corrupt individuals posing to be from financial institutions in order to avoid any form of jeopardy in your compensation fund release process and be rest assured that you are now dealing with the rightful authorities,The United Nations Compensation Commission(UNCC) was created in 1991 as a subsidiary organ of the United Nations Security Council under Security Council resolution 687 (1991) to process claims and pay compensation for losses and damages suffered as a direct result of Iraq s unlawful invasion and occupation of Kuwait in 1990-91. Their first meeting was held on the 8th of April 2003.
Hitherto, the United Nations Compensation Commission have received all the overdue outstanding payments owed to the following: firms, contractors, inheritance, next-of-kin, super hurricane Sandy and lottery beneficiaries that originated from Africa, Europe, Americas, Asia including the Middle East. Your payment has been approved to be credited in your favor strictly by ATM Card directly to your home address by the appointed paying bank. Your email address was randomly selected from global databases which qualifies you to lodge your claim for payment of $7,500,000.00
Meanwhile you should contact OUR ATM CARD PAYMENT DEPARTMENT CENTER immediately on their below;
UBA Bank contact information.
UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA PAYMENT DEPT
CONTACT PERSON::MR.KENNEDY UZOKA
CALL THE BANK AT:: +234-081-5529-5488
Note importantly that your claim Reference Number: UNCCORG/PC6410IMFCPBCPZ for your payment falls under the Federal Republic Of Nigeria - Euro-Asia geographic payment zoning (PCZA1). Therefore your compensation payment, when processed under the PCZA1 geographic zoning, will be executed by treasury allocation of funds to any of the PCZA1 appointed paying banks either in Federal Republic Of Nigeria, London, Ghana,Hong Kong Or Thialand. You will receive your compensation funds paid to you by any of the PCZA1 appointed paying banks located in the above named countries mandated for your compensation payment. Payment of your compensation funds has been uploaded into ATM Visa Card by the PCZA1 appointed paying bank.
You are advised to contact the UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA (UBA) as given above and file for your payment by submitting the claim application as stated below:
Payment Beneficiary's Full Names:(First Name, Middle Name, Surname).
Date of Birth:
We expect your urgent confirmation and response to this email as directed to enable the UBA Bank process and execute your payment effectively.Note: do not forget your claim Reference Number it is very important. :The reason you are receiving this notification in your mailbox is because We found your name in our list of people their payment has been delayed so we decide to intervene and help you get paid which we have done.
Public Relation officer
Approved by United Nation Organization.