fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "LOW INTEREST LOAN" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 20 May 2020 16:07:00 +0200
Subject: Dear Sir, pls try our low interest Loan for your business
We are International legal and finance services law firm duly registered here in Spain. Our firm represents the
Aresbank and its alliance bank and financial institution in Istanbul, Turkey. Our Finance Group invite you to
partner with us and benefit in our new Loan and Project funding program and finance services.
We offer flexible loans and funding for various projects bypassing the usual rigorous procedures. This Funding
program allows a client to enjoy low interest payback for as low as 3 - 4% per annum for a period of 5-10 years. We
can approve a minimum loan/funding from one million US dollars and no maximum limit depending on the nature of
We are currently funding for:
* Loans * Starting up a Franchise * Business Acquisition * Business Expansion * Commercial Real Estate purchase *
We are open to having a good business relationship with you if you think that you have a solid background and idea
of making good profit in any venture and please do not hesitate to contact us for possible business co-operation if
you are in need of our loan, funding and financial services.
Mr Klaus Carl