fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs Marianne carolyn" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 03:40:37 -0700
Subject: Greetings to You -- Thursday, 21 May 2020
I have a re-profiling amount in an excess of US$25.6Million Dollars,which I seek your partnership in accommodating for me. You will be rewarded with 30% of the total
sum for your partnership. Can you be my partner on this?
INTRODUCTION OF MY SELF:
I am Mrs Marianne carolyn the personal secretary to Mikhail Khodorkovsky the richest man in Russia and owner of the following companies: Chairman CEO: Yukos Oil
Corporation, 31a, Dubininskaya str.Moscow 115054, Russia(Russian Most Largest Oil Company)Chairman CEO: Menatep SBP Bank (A well reputable financial institution with
its branches all over the world)
SOURCE OF FUNDS:
The documents of the above funds in question was handed over to me to be used in payment of an American oil merchant for his last oil deal with my boss Mikhail
Khodorkovsky. Already the funds have been deposited with a bank outside Russia, where the final crediting is expected to be carried out. While I was on the process, My
Boss was arrested for his involvement on politics in financing the leading and opposing political parties (the Union of Right Forces, led by Boris Nemtsov, and
Yabloko,a liberal/social democratic party led by Gregor Yavlinsky) which poses treat to President Vladimir Putin second tenure as Russian President. You can catch more
of the story on this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3213505.stm
All I need from you is to stand as the beneficiary of the above quoted sum and I will arrange for the documentation which will enable the Bank transfer the sum to you.
I have decided to use this sum to relocate to Asia continent and never to be connected to any of Mikhail Khodorkovsky conglomerates so as to free my self from the
hands of the present government. The transaction has to be concluded in 7 days upon the receipt of your response to me. As soon as I get your willingness to comply I
will give you moredetails and also tell you what I shall require from you. Finally I will let you know my location in Asia and where this fund is at present for
Please get in touch with me via my private E-mail ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) with the below details immediately you acknowledge the good receipt of this message.
Occupation and AGE:
Country of Origin:
Thank you very much.
Mrs Marianne carolyn