fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Chris Mount (U.K Office)"<email@example.com>
Date: 28 May 2020 17:34:00 +0300
Subject: Re: Loan Funds
Thank you for connecting with us this second quarter of the year, we are glad to set our loan plan this year 2020/2021 towards the global market due to corona virus pandemic.
I would like to discuss doing business with you in relation to any project finance you may have, and your capital growth. We are hands-on investors sourcing for innovative entrepreneurs and consultants with investment opportunities in commercial-real estate industrial projects, hotel development , tourism-hospitality projects, renewable energy, waste-recycling, mineral-mining, heavy construction, environmental-tech projects,etc, that have the right mix of flair, growth potentials and market
Whether it’s a start-up project looking to launch a pilot project, a company with proven technology that needs capital input to reaching commercial scale. We are open to structure a loan package and agreement based on your financial needs and projections. Our financial solutions have many advantages over a traditional commercial loans from other banks.
For information on our low interest-rate loans and application and if your interested for a follow-up, kindly let me know so I can give you more details.