fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2020 13:59:36 -0700
Subject: I am willing to donate the sum of Euro 12.500,000
Dearest in Christ,
Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. Iâm Mrs.Rosemary Howie the widow of late Mr Howie , Iâm 54 year sold. I am a Christian convert, suffering from prolonged cancer of the breast, from all medical indications my condition has really deteriorated and itâs pretty obvious that i may not live for more than six months owning to the rapid growth by stage and the excruciating pain that accrues to it.
My husband was die during the Corona-virus (covid-19) pandemic,and our long years of marriage was not blessed with children. My husband was very wealthy and have a Gas / Oil multi-million-dollar business.After his death I inherited all his business and funds. My doctor has diagnosed and told me privately what I should expect, building my spirit for the inevitable .He says i may not last for more than six months,based on this i have taken the decision to share part of my funds and wealth in contribution to the development of the Church and society with major focus on the poor, needy and victims of HIV/AIDS.
I selected you after visiting the website having prayed over it, I am willing to donate the sum of Euro 12,500,000 for your work in developing the Church and to help the poor, needy,and less privileged among your congregations/society. Please note that this fund is deposited in a bank in the country where my husband worked, My lawyer will file the application for the transfer of this money in your designated name and informationâs, after my applications and instructions.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you. finally i honestly employ you to make sure that these funds are put to use only for this purpose, a good one you can agree with me,and remember these are the demands of a dieing woman who has a life in the lord. I now realize that wealth without life in Christ is vanity and non-sense.Always remember that.
May the grace and blessings of God be and remain with you.
I shall be awaiting for your response via email:email@example.com