fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "you are required to pay " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "united state of america" (this email uses bad English)
- "i will advice you " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Christopher Asher Wray" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 00:22:52 +0530
Subject: YOU ARE ADVISED TO CONTACT CHRIS WRIGHT ASAP.
NOTE: If you received this message in your SPAM/BULK folder, it is
because of the restrictions imposed by your Mail/Internet Service
Provider, we urge you to treat it genuinely.
How are you doing today? I hope all is well with you and entire
family? You may not understand why this email came to you. In regards
to the recent meeting between the United Nations, Cyber Crimes
Commission (CCC), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the United
States Government to restore the dignity and Economy of a Nations
based on the Agreement with the World Bank Assistance Project to help
and make the world a better place.
We have been having meetings for the past 3 months with the Secretary
General of the United Nations and this email come to those who are yet
to receive their compensation and who have been scammed in any part of
the world, this includes every foreign contractors that may have not
received their contract sum, and people that have had an unfinished
transaction or Compensation payments that failed due to Government
Recently, we the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) arrested
internet fraudsters and scammer with large amount of money so if you
are receiving this email its means you where select to be compensated
as a scam victim among 100 selected victims with part of the money
recover from the internet fraudsters account.
The United Nations have agreed to compensate you with the sum of
$10.000.00 USD (TEN MILLION DOLLARS) and 100 people where selected
across the Globe for this middle of the year compensation and your
email was in the list submitted by our Monitoring Team observers and
this is why we are contacting you, this have been agreed upon and have
It is my pleasure to inform you that you will be receiving the sum of
$10.000.00 USD (TEN MILLION DOLLARS) through an Wells Fargo ATM Card
as soon as you comply with the instructions and directives given to
Be informed that your ATM Card Number; 4000128498979908 have been
approved in your favor. Your Personal Identification Number is 6062.
The ATM Card Value is $10.000.00 USD (TEN MILLION DOLLARS).
You are advised that a most withdrawal value of $5,000.00 USD is
permitted on withdrawal per Day and we are duly Wells Fargo ATM CARD
and you can make withdrawal in any ATM Center of your choice.
You are advised to contact paul butler of the United Nations
Compensation Commission, as he is our representative in United State
Of America. I will advice you to contact him immediately for your
Compensation payment of $10.000.00 USD (TEN MILLION DOLLARS) which
will be released directly to you in accordance with legal clearance
However, you should send him your information stated below.
your Residential Address/
Attach a copy of your ID Card or Driver's licence.
I would advice you to contact chris wright safety of this transaction.
Contact Name:chris wright
Director-General of ATM Card Payment.
He is obliged to give you a call and treat your case with utmost
urgency as soon as you contact him and fill out your correct details
including all reachable phone numbers for him to get in touch with you
via phone and email.
You are advice to comply with chris wright so that he will direct you
on how to receive your Wells Fargo ATM CARD, Please note that you are
required to pay the courier fee of US$450 and the courier fee can not
be deducted from your ATM CARD due to the fact that no one has the
authority to unlucky and use your ATM CARD on your behalf because you
alone will be the one to first use the card for the first withdrawal
with your secret code.
We also advise that you stop further communications with these
impostors and forward any correspondence/proposal you receive from
them to Mr. Christopher Asher Wray in other for the FBI to bring
justice to them.
Good luck and kind regards, Making the world a better place!
God Bless America.
Mr. Christopher Asher Wray
Director of Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)