fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "i feel quite safe dealing with you in this important business" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Raphael Kamara <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 12:31:08 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: From Raphael Kamara
From Raphael Kamara
Add: 7 rue St. Bernard, Gonzac,
Abidjan - CÃ´te d'Ivoire.
Hello Dear, Greetings,
I am writing this mail to you with tears and sorrow from my heart. With due respect trust and humanity, i appeal to you to exercise a little patience and read through my letter i feel quite safe dealing with you in this important business, honestly i am writing this email to you with pains, tears and sorrow from my heart, i will really like to have a good relationship with you and i have a special reason why i decided to contact you, i decided to contact you due to the urgency of my situation. My name is Raphael Kamara and the only Son of Late Mr and Mrs Chief Vincent Kamara. I am soliciting for your assistance to save my life that is in danger because of my late father's wealth that I inherited from him, Seven Million five hundred thousand United State Dollars USD ($7,500,000.00, I inherited these money from my late father after his death. I am 19 years old boy from Sierra Leone, I am presently at Abidjan, the economic capital of Ivory Coast where the bank my late father deposited the money is located for my safety and to seek for the transfer of these money to Overseas for onward investment in your country.
My late father was a coffee and cocoa beans exporter in Abidjan when he was alive. He was poisoned to death by my stepmother, he died last year November 18th, 2019. Since after the painful death of my late father, my step-mother was desperately after my life because of my late father's wealth. Please I want you to be my Guardian. I need your maximum assistance to transfer this money into any safe bank account you can provide for me and to help me to invest the money into Real Estate business investment you can manage on my behalf while you help me to secure student visa to come over to your country to continued my studies in any best school in your country.
I have made a vow to give you 15% of this money for your kind assistance and you will help me to invest and mange the remaining 85% into any secured investment you can approve. I want you to receive me and help me as your own son and as your family member is protect my right and my interest with fear of God as I want to entrust you with all my heart that support me to archive a better future under your guardian. I'll give you more details as soon as I got your answer.