fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Vivian Nasim <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 09:07:34 +0100
Subject: Donation From Vivian Nasim
Dearest in Christ,
I greet you in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ our Lord, I am Mrs
VIVIAN NASIM, from Kuwait I am married to Mr RAWAN NASIM whom worked
with Kuwait embassy in England for Eighteen years before he died in
the year 2014.
We were married for eleven years without a child. He died after a
brief illness that lasted for only four days. Before his death we were
both born again Christian. Since his death I decided not to remarry or
get a child outside my matrimonial home which the Bible is against.
When my late husband was alive he deposited the sum of $10,Million,
United States Dollar in a Bank in spain
Presently, this money is still in bank. Recently, my Doctor told me
that I would not last for the next three months due to cancer
problem. The one that disturbs me most is my stroke sickness. Having
known my condition I decided to donate this fund to a charity
organization that will utilize this money the way I am going to
I want an organization that will use this fund for orphanages, school
and church, widows, propagating the word of God and to endeavor that
the house of God is maintained. The Bible made us to understand that
"Blessed is the hand that giveth".
I took this decision because I don't have any child that will inherit
this money and my husband relatives are not Christians and I don't
want my husband's efforts to be used by unbelievers. I don't want a
situation where this money will be used in an ungodly way. This is why
I am taking this decision. I am not afraid of death hence I know where
I am going. I know that I am going to be in the bosom of the Lord.
Exodus 14 VS 14 says that "the lord will fight my case and I shall
hold my peace".
I don't need any telephone communication in this regard because of my
health hence the presence of my husband's relatives around me always.
I don't want them to know about this development. With God all things
are possible. As soon as I receive your reply I shall give you the
contact of the Bank in England, I will also issue you an authority
letter that will prove you the present beneficiary of this fund from
Kuwait federal High Court of Justice. I want you and the church to
always pray for me because the lord is my shepherd. My happiness is
that I lived a life of a worthy Christian.
Whoever that wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and
Truth. Please always be prayerful all through your life. Any delay in
your reply will give me room in sourcing another church for this same
purpose. Please assure me that you will act accordingly as I Stated
Hoping to receive your reply.
Remain blessed in the Lord
In Christ's Holy Love
Yours Sister in Christ