fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
Fraud email example:
From: "COCA COLA." (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2020 12:53:27 -0700
Subject: COCA-COLA LOTTERY ORGANIZATION
COCA-COLA LOTTERY ORGANIZATION
TICKET FREE/ONLINE E-MAIL ADDRESS WINNINGS DEPARTMENT.
If you are the correct owner of this email address? If yes then be glad this day as the result of the Coca-Cola lotto online e-mail address free-ticket winning draws of January 2020 ,held in United States of America has just been released and we are glad to announce to you that your email address won you the sweepstakes in the first category and you are entitled to claim the sum of One Million Two Hundred And Fifty Thousand United States Dollars(US$1,250,000.00). Your email address was entered for the online draw on this ticket No: 546-373-66773 and won on this Lucky No: (14)-(8)-(5)-(19)-(28)-(12)-(30).
On how to receive your won prize of US$1.250,000.00M. (One Million Two Hundred And Fifty Thousand United States Dollars Only) to enable Mr.James Curtise ascertain you as the rightful winner and receiver of the US$1.250,000.00M.Make sure you include the below listed information in your contact email to him.
Your complete official names, country of origin and country of residence/work, contact telephone and mobile numbers, amount won,lucky numbers, date of draw. OPTIONAL: - [Sex, age, occupation and job title].
Just in case you are thinking of how you won without entering then know again that this very draw of the Coca-Cola Lottery Organization in which you have emerged as a winner was a free ticket online email address draws were thousands of email addresses was collected from almost all world wide websites and used for the online draws/sweepstakes and during winners selection your email address came out among the first ten which won you the lottery in the first winnings category and entitles you to claim the US$1,250,000.00 dollars.
COCA-COLA LOTTERY ORGANIZATION.
Online Winning Notification Department.