fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "fiduciary agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "very confidential" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Wayne Mathewsi" <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 03:50:31 -0700
I got your contact from google in my search for a reliable partner. Kindly Pardon my intruding to your privacy, I have no option than to share this very important information with you and will appreciate if you will consider this information for our mutual benefit.
I was the former chief financial officer on behalf of Duncan Lawrie, A United Kingdom based Wealth Management Bank and Fiduciary Agents.
The business entity known for the past 45 years as Duncan Lawrie is being broken up and sold with the loan book of the private banking business going to Arbuthnot Latham & Co, and the asset management arm to Brewin Dolphin Ltd.
BREWIN DOLPHIN acquired assets and liabilities of Duncan Lawrie with its overseas investment valued at USD$735,000,000,00 (Seven Hundred and thirty five Million United States dollars) only.
Arbuthnot Latham & Co also bought part Shares of the Duncan Lawrie assets and Liabilities respectively.
Until this moment, Duncan Lawrie still has unclaimed depositors funds worth over $178,324,200 (One hundred and seventy eight million, three Hundred and twenty Four Thousand, two hundred United states dollars) only. This includes a single deposit of $12.200,000,00 (Twelve Million, Two Hundred Thousand United states dollars only) which has remained unclaimed. All efforts to reach the depositor failed completely and unclaimed funds will automatically be credited to BREWIN DOLPHIN.
In my capacity as former CFO at Duncan Lawrie, I have decided to divert the $12.2 million to your nominated bank account for our mutual benefit. This is the deal and my reason for contacting you.
I have all necessary prerequisite information to achieve this goal. What I need is your consent, readiness and willingness to receive the funds. I will provide you requirements and mode of process to actualize this payment in your favor.
Kindly note that this is very confidential information and I will appreciate it if you equally keep it absolutely confidential.
Please note, this shall be a risk free transaction and shall not contravene any law as it shall be done by direct B2B swift transfer.All relevant documentations shall be procured in your favor as beneficiary with my advice to support your status as the beneficiary.
I am willing to share these funds in two equal parts after tax.
Your favorable response will be appreciated.