fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- your urgent response is highly needed. regards. john monk email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org -- this email has been checked (Consultant; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.John Monk" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 21:35:41 -0800
Subject: Crude Allocation Partnership!!
Please permit me to introduce myself. My name is John Monk. I earn a livin=
g in the oil industry as an independent Feasibility/Project Management Cons=
ultant to oil refineries and other oil industries in Southern African, East=
Africa and some parts of Asia. We are based in Johannesburg RSA. Our manda=
te includes identifying specific licensed crude oil export/ marketing firms=
and recommending these firms to the oil refineries for supply of crude oil=
to the refineries.
On my desk is a mandate from one the refineries to arrange for crude oil p=
urchase from Libya for up to 2,000,000 barrels on monthly bases for 12 cale=
ndar months.The essence of my reaching out to you is the fact that am in th=
e process of building a middle man structure to mediate between the 2 parti=
es involved before the contract is signed. You may be wondering why I canno=
t do it by myself right? The honest fact is that as a consultant to these o=
il refineries, we are not allowed to act as suppliers of crude oil to them =
as well, hence the reason I need a trustworthy person outside my work circl=
e in order to maintain a discreet profile.
I wish to extend this partnership to you my friend to build a middle man s=
tructure with you, while I work from the back to guide you. Our commission/=
brokerage as middle persons is between $2 - $3 per barrel as case may be. S=
o if the target of 2M barrels is met monthly we stand to share $4M - $6M ev=
ery month for a span of 12 months with possible extension.
Worry less about the speedy sales as I have contacts within oil producing =
country's top officials for license of crude oil export/lifting to any firm=
I so present for this business. Therefore if you can be able to handle thi=
s transaction with honesty and integrity, you should come back to me immedi=
ately for more details. Your urgent response is highly needed.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.