fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "security keeping fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "UNITED NATION DEPUTY SECRETARY-GENERAL (U.N)" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2020 22:14:54 -0700
Subject: CONTACT DHL OFFICE IMMEDIATELY FOR YOUR ATM MASTER CARD 1.5 MILLION,
UNITED NATION DEPUTY SECRETARY-GENERAL (U.N)
This is to official inform you that we have been having meetings for
the past three (3) weeks which ended two days ago with MR. JIM YONG
KIM the world bank president and other seven continent presidents on
the congress we treated on solution to scam victim problems.
Note: we have decided to contact you following the reports we
received from anti-fraud international monitoring group your
name/email has been submitted to us therefore the united nations have
agreed to compensate you with the sum of (USD$ 1.5 Million) this
compensation is also including international business that failed you
in the past due to government problems etc.
We have arranged your payment through our ATM Master Card and
deposited it in DHL Office to deliver it to you which is the latest
instruction from the World Bank president MR. JIM YONG KIM, For your
informationâs, the delivery charges already paid by U.N treasury, the
only money you will send to DHL office Indonesia is
($550). for security keeping fee, U.N coordinator already paid for
others charges fees for delivery except the security keeping fee, the
director of DHL refused to collect the security keeping fee from U.N
coordinator, the Director of DHL office said that they donât know
exactly time you will contact them to reconfirm your details to avoid
counting demur-rage that is why they refused collecting the ($550) .
for security keeping fee.
Therefore be advice to contact DHL Office agent Indonesia.Mr. ABDUL BARI .
who is in position to deliver your ATM
MasterCard to your location address, contact DHL Office immediately
with the bellow email & phone number as listed below.
Contact name: ABDUL BARI .
Email:( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Make sure you reconfirmed DHL Office your details ASAP as stated
below to avoid wrong delivery.
Your full name..........
Let us know as soon as possible you receive your ATM MasterCard
for proper verification.
Mrs Vivian kakadu.
DEPUTY SECRETARY-GENERAL (U.N)