fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Stephens Okeke" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2020 17:49:05 -0700
Subject: Re: Good News
I'm happy to inform you about my success in getting the fund
transferred under the cooperation of a new partner from Paraguay.
Presently I am in Paraguay for investment projects with my own share
of the total sum. Meanwhile, I didn't forget your past efforts and
attempts to assist me in transferring those funds despite that it
failed us some how.
Now contact my secretary,his name and contact information are:
NAME: Mr. Fredrick Joseph
Kindly reconfirm to him the following below information:
Your full name_________________________
Your Phone number______________________
Ask him to send you the total $USD 1.2 million which I kept for your
compensation for all the past efforts and attempts to assist me in
this matter. I appreciated your efforts at that time very much. so
feel free and get in touched with my secretary Mr. Fredrick Joseph and
instruct him where to send the amount to you.
Please do let me know immediately you receive it so that we can share
the joy after all the suffer at that time. In the moment, I am very
busy here because of the investment projects which me and the new
partner are having at hand. Finally,remember that I have forwarded
instruction to the secretary on your behalf to receive that money, so
feel free to get in touch with Mr. Fredrick Joseph and he will send
the amount to you without any delay.
With best regards,
Mr. Stephens Okeke