fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Huang Zhaoqun CEO Hongkong Abe Enterprise Co., Limited"<Mr. Huang Zhaoqun>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2020 07:41:36 +0200
Subject: From Mr. Huang Zhaoqun CEO Hongkong Abe Enterprise Co., Limited
My name is Mr. Huang Zhaoqun CEO Hongkong Abe Enterprise Co., Limited.
We are East Turkestan before China re-established control in 1949 after crushing our short-lived state.
We Uighurs have been passing series of persecution from Chinese state as result of this my business in mainland China has been frozen without any justification just because I'm from Uighurs.Uighurs are frequently executed or imprisoned, some for simply daring to express their own culture (similar to in Tibet) many of my people has been prison in thousands in Uighurs northern china!
The sweeping NEW NATIONAL SECURITY LAW that China imposed on Hong Kong, aimed at stamping out opposition to the ruling Communist Party in the former British colony, is as devastating as we have been witnessing.The law was Conceived in secrecy and passed without serious input from Hong Kong people, the law sets up a vast security apparatus in the territory and gives Beijing broad powers to crack down on a variety of genuine business people like us.
Due to the new law pass by Chinese Government and their quest to take over Hong Kong autonomy, we Uighurs ethnic group doing business are term anti-chinese communist and our investments has been targeted and shut-down as they did in China Mainland.
I have an inherited fund in the amount of $34,000,000.00 usd (Thirty-Four Million United State Dollar) with Hang Seng Bank Hong Kong from my late father.
I initially intended to utilize this fund in Hong Kong to expand my business but as the crack-down continues, I have decided to move this fund abroad and quietly establish my life out of China, I'm seeking your consent to receive this fund as an investment fund into your designated bank account.
I got your contact from international business brochure and after going through your profile I deem you fit in partnering with me and will give you 20% of the total sum for your help as foreign partner.
This fund will be moved as an investment fund by abiding to the law of your country. Please kindly reply back to me so that we can commence the fund movement arrangement with immediate effect.
I'm currently taking a shelter in my home town and preparing to leave this region once this fund is successfully move abroad.
I will give you a detail of the Financial Consultant who will help move this fund to you. Because of security and fear of me been arrested, I will only be communicating to you through this medium.
Have a lovely day,
Mr. Huang Zhaoqun
Email : email@example.com