fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- cherokee st denver, co 80223, us and my email is email@example.com i am one of those who fell victim to scam in africa two (Aol; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: John Phillips.
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2020 19:30:44 -0700
Subject: SCAM VICTIMS COMPENSATION PROGRAM!!!
SCAM VICTIMS COMPENSATION PROGRAM!
I am John Phillips. I am a US citizen, 66 years Old. I reside here in Denver, Colorado US. My residential address is 169 Cherokee St Denver, CO 80223, US and my email is firstname.lastname@example.org I am one of those who fell victim to scam in Africa two years ago. I had lost over US$94,000 for the past years. I have been trying to get my money all to no avail and they always stopped my money with one reason or the order. So I decided to fly down to the United Nations compensation Payment Center in New York were all scam victims payments are to be paid to their respective owners all over the world.
When I got to New York, I met Mr. David Richard who explained everything to me and said whoever is contacting us through emails are fake that he appreciate me coming down to New York to see things for myself which was the best option. He took me to the paying bank for the claim of my compensation payment and it was paid to me successfully. Right now I am the happiest man on earth because I have finally received my compensation payment of US$900,000.00 Moreover, Mr. David Richard showed me the files containing the emails contacts of those that are yet to receive their compensation payment and this was how I came across these your email contact. Please take note that the total Money I paid after I met with Mr. David Richard was $450.00 for the funds release order clearance from the paying bank.
Contact his office with the below details:
Contact Person: Mr. David Richard
When contacting him, You are also advised to provide him with the under listed information as soon as possible:
FULL NAMES: __________________________________
DELIVERY ADDRESS: __________________
DATE OF BIRTH: __________________
TELEPHONE NUMBER: _____________________
EMAIL ADDRESS: _____________________
Thank you & God bless you.
169 Cherokee St Denver, CO 80223
NOTE: If you received this message in your SPAM/BULK folder that is because of the restrictions implemented by your Internet Service Provider we (COMPENSATION PROGRAM) urge you to treat it genuinely and kindly move it to your inbox.
AVAIL OUR SECURE INTERNET BANKING FACILITY FOR 24*7 ACCESS TO YOUR PNB ACCOUNT"
For Details :
Contact:Toll Free No. 1800-180-2222/1800-103-2222 & Tolled No. 0120-2490000
For Credit Card, please call Credit Card Call Centre No. 18001802345,(Toll Free) and 0120-4616200 (Tolled No.) and visit: www.pnbcard.in
The Information transmitted in this email is solely for the addressee. It is confidential and may be legally privileged. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken by anyone other than by the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient then kindly delete the mail from your system. Any opinion or views expressed in this mail may not necessarily reflect that of Punjab National Bank. The bank considers unencrypted email as an insecure mode of communication.