fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Caroline Bailey" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: "Mrs. Caroline Bailey" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2020 07:36:08 +0800 (HKT)
Subject: POWERBALL ORGANIZATION LOTTERY HEAD OFFICE.
POWERBALL ORGANIZATION LOTTERY HEAD OFFICE.
6 Alex Avenue
Company No: 3490008
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
ASIA UNIT, EUROPEAN UNIT
REFERENCE NUMBER: POB/9087/77
BATCH NUMBER: 09/088/1087/LKOG/TR.
We are pleased to inform you about the E-ballot draw fund that is found in the email social profound program , in which the primary source of this program is selected in this year curriculum phase in 2020/2022 prize layout,The POWERBALL ONLINE LOTTERY COMPANY sets out the sum of $16,000,000.00 USD( sixteen Million USD ) in this year prize layout
These arrangement was created as an alliance to different people from different part of the world and this layout was released to some aged lucky profiles from 18 years - 90 years in order to improvince the management of the POWERBALL LOTTERY COMPANY Around the world.
The management of the POWERBALL INAUGURATION have been remarked by so many authorities to ensure the security of this fund without any form of fraudulent penetrations and also the international monetary fund office is also involved in the crediting of this fund.
Participants were selected through a computer ballot system drawn from 2,000 profile of individuals and companies from all part of the world as part of our electronic business Promotions Program.
You have therefore been approved for a lump sum pay out of US $16,000,000.00 USD in cash, which is the winning pay-out for Second category winners.
Fill up the Form for your claims
(1) Full name:
(2) Country of origin:
(3) Date of birth:
(4) Contact telephone
Candidates are allowed to provide the required details in order to commence with the necessary arrangements that need to be done in this promotional access.
CONGRATULATIONS ONCE AGAIN!!!
Yours Specially Mrs. Caroline Bailey,
Email: Â firstname.lastname@example.org