fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
Fraud email example:
From: INFO <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 23:54:33 -0700
Subject: FROM GLOBAL COVID-19 PANDEMIC
In the wake of the global COVID-19 Pandemic, I wish to bring you the
good news of hope. I am Mrs. Susan Delores, director of the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention. I write to officially inform you
that you have been selected to receive the UN Covid-19 stimulus
package worth $350,000.00 USD. The selection process was carried out
through the United Nations (UN) computerized email selection system,
from a database of over 79,980,000 email addresses obtained from all
continents of the world, which your email address was selected among.
The United Nations COVID-19 Response and Recovery Fund is a UN
inter-agency fund mechanism established by the UN Secretary-General to
help support low-and middle-income people(s) to respond to the
pandemic and its impacts, including an unprecedented
sociology-economic shock. The Fundâs assistance targets those most
vulnerable to economic hardship and social disruption around the
We are delighted to inform you that due to mixed up of names and
numbers, your email attached to approved number UN6MM020/COVID-19,
which consequently fall on our International Chapter, therefore, you
are advised to contact the United Nations COVID-19 Response and
Recovery Fund Coordinator and Grants Manager (MR. SMITH STANMORE), to
claim your $350,000.00 USD without any delay.
Name: MR. SMITH STANMORE
Phone/ Whasapp: +13802032668
Confirm the following information as soon as possible.
1. Name In Full :
2. Residential Address :
3. Nationality :
4. Age :
5. Sex :
6. Occupation :
7. Direct Phone :
8. Present Country :
9. Email address :
Note, it's in your hands to stop the spread of COVID-19. United
Nation's advises to follow the guidelines of the scientific community.
(1) Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water, or
an alcohol based solution. (2) Avoid touching your eyes, nose and
mouth.(3) Practice social distancing. Reduce social activity and, if
you really need to meet someone, maintain a 2-meter (6-foot) distance
between the two of you.
Finally, our Grants Manager is responsible for the smooth and
efficient release of your United Nations COVID-19 Response and
Recovery Fund of $350,000.00 USD US Dollars, so contact him
immediately with these information's as required above.
Congratulations once again.
Mrs. Susan Delores
Director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention