fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "inland revenue" (Tax offices mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. Even after you pay their fake tax demands you will still not receive the non-existent funds you have been promised. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr Alex White <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 11:37:11 -0700
Subject: END OF FIRST QUARTER DELIVERY APPROVAL OF 2021
*Chicago O'Hare International Airport
*10000 W O'Hare Ave, Chicago, Illinois 60666 USA.*
* I am Mr. Alex White From the office of Inspection
Unit/United Nations Agency in O'Hare International Airport Chicago Illinois
USA.With regard to your two Metal Trunk Boxes abandoned in our custody here
at United Nations Agency in O'Hare International Airport Chicago Illinois
USA by a carrier assigned diplomat from United Kingdom for some time
now.Box " 1 " is weighing 25kg with BATCH NO / NYUSA-999 ,DELIVERY CODE/
260 ,SECURITY NO/ 44881 , while Box " 2 " is weighing approximately 25kg
too also with BATCH NO / NYUSA-1000, DELIVERY CODE/ 261 , SECURITY NO/
44882 . I want to inform you that the authorities at the corridors of power
at U.S States Department Headquarter at Harry S Truman Building 2201 C
Street, NW, Washington, D.C. 20520 through the office of Secretary of
State Mr. Antony Blinken , U.S Secretary of Treasury Department Mrs. Janet
L. Yellen, and Commissioner for Inland Revenue Service ( IRS ) Mr. David
Kauther has decided to tamper justice with mercy by leaving the door once
again by giving another privilege for you to receive your consignments.The
memo which was duly signed and sealed by Secretary of State Mr. Antony
Blinken , U.S Secretary of Treasury Department Mrs. Janet L. Yellen, and
Commissioner for Inland Revenue Service ( IRS ) Mr. David Kauther
respectively strictly directed us to make sure we conclude everything about
the delivery of your consignments without further delay or wasting of time
.According to the official directives from office of Secretary of State Mr.
Antony Blinken , you are required to get us an Irrevocable International
Diplomatic Cash Delivery Waiver from the Director World Bank Group in
Nigeria Mrs. Rosemary Williams, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
<email@example.com> Tel: 234-8156865903.A duly endorsed and
certified Irrevocable international diplomatic cash delivery waiver from
World Bank office in Nigeria as the country of origin of your fund in your
favor will give us the legal right to proceed to your chosen located
address for the delivery of the said two trunk boxes to you as the
legitimate owner without further delay or any form of payment for
whatsoever reason .I will be on my way to your home address with other
delivery team as soon as we receive a certified Irrevocable international
diplomatic cash delivery waiver on your behalf.*
* HELP US TO SERVE YOU BETTER*
* Thanks. Mr. Alex
White Assistance Inspection Director O'Hare
International Airport 10000 W O'Hare Ave, Chicago,
Illinois 60666 USA.
[image: Image result for the logo of
O'Hare International Airport]
Image result for the logo of O'Hare International Airport]