fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "i will give you 35% " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
Date: 7 Apr 2021 09:11:31 +0200
Subject: HELLO PLEASE READ MESSAGE....
I am sorry to disturb you with my problems.my name is Amira
Hajjar i am presently in Turkey.My father was a gold miner in
Libya before the war started.he was killed during the war before
he died he gave me a deposit certificate he has deposited two
trunk boxes here in Turkey for safe keeping and was planing to
come over with us before he was killed.
i am in Turkey and have been in contact with the security company
they said i need a foreign partner because am too young to lay
claims.i am 17 years old.i am writing you to be my foreign
partner help me receive the funds and i will give you 35% of the
total amount and also you will be in control of my share until am
20 years old.
the total amount is $11,850.000.00.i want you to know also that i
will like to go back to school again so i can complete my