fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "storage fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Sandra Leon <Info@usa.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 07:16:43 -0700
Subject: Attention please call Mr Johnson Right Now +12705514544
Cargo Unit: Chicago O'Hare International Airport,
Airport code: ORD 10000 West O'Hare
Chicago, IL 60666:USA,
Tele:+12705514544 or WhatsAPP+17023897559.
ATTENTION: Final Notice of Your Package In view of your inability to
receive your package with registration #: CT8100AF from National UK
Lottery London nited kingdom, originally scheduled to be delivered to you
by an agency, city express delivery (c.e.d).
This package in a golden metal box valued $3,316,000 USD (Three million
Four hundred and sixteen thousand dollars) mistakenly arrived at Chicago
O'Hare International Airport terminal 5 via British airways flight
no.BA297 from Heathrow airport London sometime ago. The package with
registration no,#: CT8100AF has been cleared by the USA customs and is
The agency, attached to the airport, city express delivery (c.e.d) who
delivered your package to your address have just return the package to our
storage facility at the Chicago Airport, due to incomplete address.Please
reconfirm these information's;
1. Your Full Name; .....
2. Your current address; ..........
3. Your phone number; ..............
4. Nearest airport to your location.........
5. Your Occupation; ...............
Therefore, I am writing to inform you that the days of grace has elapsed
and we shall begin to charge the daily storage fee of $125 USD ONLY, and
the fee will be direct to united nation head office Benin Republic. Please
call: Mr Johnson Nugent UN AGENT, on +12705514544 or WhatsAPP+17023897559
he will email you the name to wire the money to united nation head office
Benin Republic. Extension 21 terminal 5 or contact Email
to release this package directly to you.
Note that this notice serves as our last recovery notice to you as our
department will be compelled to shortlist your package as an unclaimed
consignment, and maybe forfeited. Note: Delivery of your package from the
airport to your residential address is free.
Mrs Sandra Leon
STORAGE OFFICER Terminal 5 Extension 11
Consignment from United nation payment Delegation west Africa state.
Mrs Sandra Leon
UN CHIEF ON PAYMENT MATTERS.
Whatsap Number: +17023897559