fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "certified bank draft" (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Outblaze.com, Hong Kong; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Info <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2021 16:56:23 -0700
Subject: I have successfully transferred the money.
Hello my good friend,
How are you doing, hope all is well with you?
You may not understand why this email message came to you,but if you do not
remember me,you might have received an email from me in the past regarding
a multi-million-dollar business proposal which we never concluded. I am
using this opportunity to inform you that the multi-million-dollar business
has been concluded with the assistance of another partner from France who
financed the transaction to a logical conclusion. I thank you for your
great efforts to our unfinished transfer of fund into your account due to
one reason or the other best known to you. I'm happy to inform you that I
have successfully transferred the total funds to my new partner company's
account in France, that was capable of assisting me in this great venture.
Due to your effort, sincerity,courage and trust worthiness you showed
during the course of the transaction. I want to compensate you and show my
gratitude to you with the sum of $350,000.00. I have left a Certified Bank
Draft for you worth $350,000.00 cash-able anywhere in the world, Three
Hundred and Fifty Thousand United States Dollars Only.
Kindly contact my account officer through this email address (
email@example.com) for the collection of your bank draft, her names
are: Mrs. Patricia Dennis, I have authorized her to release the Bank Draft
to you whenever you contact her regarding it. At the moment, I'm very busy
with my partner because of the investment project which I and my new
partner are having at hand. Please I will like you to accept this token
with good faith as this is from the bottom of my heart,Also comply with
Mrs. Patricia's directive so that your CHECK can reach you without delay.
Note her contact details below:
Name: Mrs. Patricia Dennis
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
I did not forget your past efforts and attempts to help in receiving the
fund as requested in the past, Now I am rejoicing, so I and my partner are
giving out this to you as donation or compensation, so that you can rejoice