fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "waiting for your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Yarim Hashim <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 05:22:04 +0100
Subject: Dear Partner,
Please forgive me if my request is not acceptable by your kind person.
I am Mr. Hashim Yarim, who works in CBI (BURKINA FASO) as a non-independent
non-executive Director and President of CORIS BANK Intl'. During our last
banking audits, we discovered that an account abandoned belongs to one of
our deceased foreign clients, Mr. Wang Jian, co-founder and co-chair of the
HNA Group, a Chinese conglomerate with important real estate properties
throughout the US. in an accident during a business trip in France on
Go to this link:
I came across your e-mail contact prior to a private search while in need
of your assistance also a foreign partner. I am assured of your capability
and reliability to champion this business opportunity when I prayed about
I am writing to request your assistance to transfer the sum of
$15,000,000.00 (Fifteen Million United States Dollars) at its counts as
Wang Jian's last foreign business partner, which I plan use the fund to
invest in public benefit as follows
1. Establish an orphanage home to help orphaned children.
2. Build a hospital to help the poor.
3. Build an asylum for the elderly and homeless.
Meanwhile, before contacting you, I did an investigation to locate one of
the relatives of the late Mr Jian Wang who knows the account, but I didn't
succeed. However, I took this decision to support orphans and less
privileged children with this fund, because I don't want this fund
transferred to our Account of Government treasury as an unclaimed fund. I
am willing to offer you the 50% of the fund for your support and assistance
to transfer the fund to your account.
More detailed information will be sent to the desegregation explaining how
the fund will be transferred to you Please continue to achieve the purpose,
Reply me on my private E-Mail Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Waiting for your urgent response.